Hotter Chocolate


So I tried this again.

This time I microwaved the milk first - alone - and then I added the powder - scoop by scoop - until it was perfectly mixed into the milk. Honestly, it wasn't great. The mug that exploded in the microwave last time tasted much sweeter, so I think that's the way to go from here on out.

Mostly though this was just an excuse to show off these ginourmous marshmallows. That's just one of them in there. One! I was actually hoping that the marshmallow would absorb all the hot chocolate and I could eat it like a delicious sponge, but unfortunately marshmallows are not very absorbent.


In other hot chocolate news, seasonal ice cream has made its way into your grocer's freezer. Hot chocolate ice cream sounds delicious, but I'm sad to report that it is not. But just like the actual drink mix, this hot chocolate comes with marshmallows already in there!

An interesting fact I learned from eating this ice cream is that you can't freeze marshmallows. They remain soft and chewy even though the ice cream is rock hard.

I hadn't noticed that this ice cream is designated as 'light', which is never a good sign. I'm definitely willing to give hot chocolate ice cream another try. I'm pretty sure Publix has their own version. I know they have eggnog. Oh. Hot eggnog chocolate. Somebody get on that!

3 comments:

  1. The ice cream looks like Rocky Road. Does it taste similar? And those giant marshamallows are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna do you a favor -- I'm giving you my recipe to make 2 perfect cups of stovetop hot chocolate from scratch. Here's how I make it:

    3 tbsp cocoa powder
    2 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp water
    1 tsp vanilla
    pinch of salt
    2 cups milk
    dash of cream or half-n-half

    Melt the cocoa and the sugar into the water over low or medium-low heat. Keep stirring it so it doesn't burn and stick to the pan. Add the vanilla and the salt. Keep mixing and add a little of the milk. Mix (I use a wisk) until hot. Add a little more milk and the cream. Keep slowly adding milk as it heats up.

    Serve piping hot. Top with marshmallows. Come back on the internet and thank me for the fantastic cocoa!

    Certainly a ton more trouble than dumping a packet of mix into some hot water but well worth it! Love the blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete